Pages

Tuesday 29 April 2014

Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins

I suppose it’s time to share something personal with you guys, I was never a baker. I hadn't baked a thing (since being a little kid) before I moved in with Sean; but Sean likes treats: granola bars, cookies, muffins and I despise the processed ingredients and copious amounts of sugar that go into the ones you buy at the grocery store. So I started a new adventure of baking, I was always a cook, I love to spend hours in my kitchen creating new dishes, experimenting with flavours and sampling everything as it goes, but I never liked baking. Probably because I’m not a big fan of baked goods; and why would I make them if I won’t eat them? But then there was Sean, and his love of baked goods and treats coming right up against my hatred of processed sugars and starchy baked goods. I just can’t have him putting such junk into his body on a daily basis. So I decided to get into the kitchen and attempt the art of baking, my first few experiments didn’t work out that well but I think I’ve come a long way and I’m hooked.

 




We both work long hours, and when you include commuting on top of it our hours at home are minimal, especially in the morning when you just want those extra 10 minutes in bed! These Applesauce Oatmeal muffins are the perfect grab-and-go breakfast for busy mornings as they are gluten-free and won’t make you feel heavy and full. With no processed sugars or additives you can feel great about eating one on your way out the door, and another for your mid-morning snack!


Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins

You’ll be watching the oven, waiting anxiously and watching the seconds tick by as the light cinnamon and applesauce smell of these muffins fills your house; the best part is they are guilt free so you can feel good about slathering butter on a piping-hot muffin and enjoying it with a cup of tea!

Time:
Prep Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes // Cook Time: 20 – 25 minutes // Yields: 12 muffins

Ingredients:
1.       1 c. steel cut or rolled oats
2.       1 c. almond milk
3.       1 c. oat flour (I make mine by blending oats to a flour consistency in my magic bullet)
4.       1 1/2 tsp baking powder
5.       1 tsp baking soda
6.       1/4 tsp salt
7.       1 tsp cinnamon
8.       1/4 c. shredded unsweetened coconut
9.       1/2 c. applesauce
10.   1 egg, lightly beaten
11.   2 TBSP pure maple syrup

Directions:
1.       Preheat oven to 375°C
2.       In a medium bowl, cover oats with milk and let sit for one hour (this softens the oats and makes the muffins super moist)
3.       In a large bowl whisk oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and shredded coconut together
4.       Add Applesauce, egg and maple syrup to the oat/milk mixture and stir until fully combined
5.       Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mix with a spatula until just combined (don’t over mix as it will make the muffins dense
6.       Grease your muffin tin (I use coconut oil) and fill each cup about 2/3 with mixture, top with more shredded coconut and bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7.       Enjoy with a cup of tea, a bit of butter or store in the fridge for up to one week for quick breakfasts on the go!

Emily.xo


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your opinions, or what you think would be great in/with my recipes! Leave a comment!