Pages

Saturday 19 April 2014

Banana Protein Cookies

So last week at work I caved and had a cookie from the cafe next door, it was a cool afternoon and I needed something to accompany me tea. Now usually I have a keen supply of home-made energy balls or protein bars for exactly these situations, but sadly on this tragic day I was lacking. So as stated, I caved and bought an oatmeal cookie. And it was not very good, truly; it was sickly sweet and didn’t have much other flavour. The chef later admitted to me that he uses pre-made cookie mix. I seriously can’t believe I put that crap stuff into my body; I NEVER eat pre-made or pre-packaged foods. Yuck! After the incident my co-worker and I got into a debate about “healthy cookies” which culminated in a challenge.

The Challenge:
My co-worker informed me that there is no such thing as a “healthy cookie”, that cookies are something that simply are un-healthy and that’s the fact of life. Challenge Accepted. Needless to say, my mind started racing with ideas and I took to pinterest to see if I could get some tips. There are plenty of “healthy cookie” recipes out there, but most of them still had some type of sugar or artificial sweetener, flour, ect. I really wanted something that I could be proud to eat before a work-out and feel no guilt about if I gave in to my cravings and had a couple.

On Saturday morning I woke up with a mission in mind, create these healthy cookies. And boy, was I happy with the outcome of my adventure. Not only are these cookies packed with protein and nutrients, they are soft, chewy and heavenly delicious!
Banana Protein Cookies

Time:
 Prep Time: 5 minutes// Cook time: 20 – 25 minutes// Makes around 14 cookies, depending how big you want them.

Ingredients:
1.       2 overly ripe bananas
2.       1 ½ cup rolled or steel-cut oats
3.       1/3 cups peanut butter, softened
4.       1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
5.       1 scoop vanilla protein powder
6.       ½ tsp cinnamon
7.       ½ tsp vanilla extract
8.       1 cup chopped walnuts (or nut of choice)
9.       Optional: Chocolate chips to top

Directions:
1.       Preheat oven to 350° and either a) grease a large cookie sheet (I use coconut oil) or b) cover in parchment paper
2.       In a large bowl mash bananas; add peanut butter, applesauce, vanilla extract and protein powder and stir until fully combined
3.       Add oats, cinnamon, walnuts and stir well
4.       Place about 1 TBSP of cookie dough/cookie and flatten with a
5.       Optional: this is where you would place your chocolate chips on the top, or you can stir into the batter for a chocolateier cookie. I put 5 chocolate chips on HALF the cookies for Sean, as I don’t like them on mine
6.       Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until cookies are lightly golden and cooked through
7.       Let cool for 5 minutes on sheet before transferring to a wire rack
I love the chewy texture and hint of sweetness from the protein powder and apple sauce in these bad boys, I always eat one before my work out with a handful of toasted almonds.

Emily.xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your opinions, or what you think would be great in/with my recipes! Leave a comment!