Pages

Thursday 17 April 2014

Mexican Quinoa, Bean and Yam Skillet

It was so sunny and warm for the past two weeks and just when I thought spring was here and I could put my winter sweaters and boots away, BAM, an overnight snow fall and the cold weather was back! And right in time for the Easter Long weekend, how are we going to do an Easter egg hunt now? Good thing I’m not a big fan of chocolate, eh? As we all know, with the long weekend come heavy meals, extra treats and more sitting around the living room, chatting with family and friends; thus it seemed the perfect time to try the Mexican quinoa recipe.
I got this dinner idea over at Damn Delicious, whose blog I simply adore! Chung-Ah always takes beautiful pictures that make you drool all over your key board. I’ve also noticed her taste is very similar to mine, although I prefer my food a bit lighter and cleaner. Therefore whenever she posts something so damn delicious I can’t resist, I immediately think of ways to lighten it up. This recipe was already pretty light, but I wanted to add a few more fresh veggies and that’s exactly what I did.





Mexican Quinoa, Bean and Yam Skillet
Time: Prep: 10 minutes Cook time: about 30 minutes
Packed with protein from the Quinoa and beans and chock-full of nutrients and flavour you’re sure to impress anyone at your table with this quick and easy dinner. And it comes together in around 30 minutes, perfect for those busy weeknights!






Ingredients
1.       1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
2.       1 1/3 cup vegetable broth
3.       1 19 oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
4.       ½ yam, diced
5.       1 cup canned corn
6.       1 large tomato, diced
7.       6 cloves garlic, minced
8.       1 jalapeño finely chopped
9.       1 TBSP grapeseed oil (or oil of your choice)
10.   1 TBSP cumin
11.   1 ½ - 2 TBSP Chili powder
12.   2 tsp garlic powder
13.   Salt and pepper to taste
14.   1 avocado, diced
15.   Juice of 1 lime or 1 TBSP bottled lime juice

Directions:
1.       Microwave yam for about 2 minutes to soften
2.       Heat oil over medium-high in a large pan, sauté garlic and jalapeño until translucent, about 2 minutes.
3.       Add yam, black beans, tomato, corn, quinoa, vegetable broth and spices to pan and stir to combine. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for about 20 – 25 minutes or until quinoa is fully cooked.
4.       Remove from heat; stir in lime juice and avocado.
*you could top this with cilantro or parsley if you prefer.



Emily.xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your opinions, or what you think would be great in/with my recipes! Leave a comment!