Well the awful flu has invaded our house through Sean, so far I seem to be unaffected (knock on wood) and I'm doing all I can to deter the bug from getting me! Poor Sean has been so sick he’s barely moved for the past two days. So I decided in an attempt to help him feel better I would make him chicken soup, but I'm not a huge fan of chicken noodle soup, so when I found a recipe for a hearty chicken and potato chowder I just knew I had to make it my own! And behold, today he was able to go to work! Chicken soup is a miracle!
Chicken Potato Chowder
A flavourful chowder that comes together in a medley of tender veggies, hearty chicken and a creamy, cheesy base! Whether you’re suffering a sickness or enjoying with a clean bill of health, your sure to feel like a million bucks after a big bowl!
Prep Time: 15 minutes // Cook Time: 40 minutes // Yields: 4-6 servings
- 3 chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1” pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 small carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 4-5 red potatoes, cubed
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 c. milk
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 c. cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1 tsp Franks Red Hot sauce
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat 1 TBSP olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add chicken, salt and pepper and sauté until cooked through, about 5 minutes; remove from pot and set aside
- Add remaining 1 TBSP olive oil to the pot, and then add onions, garlic, carrots and celery and sauté until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in thyme until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Whisk flour into the veggies, slowly stir in chicken stock and milk whisking gently until slightly thickened. Add potatoes, increase heat and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 12 – 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in chicken, cheese, Franks Red Hot sauce and lemon juice until the cheese is melted.
- Serve topped with more cheese, if desired.
Recipe adapted from http://damndelicious.net/2014/01/17/chicken-potato-chowder/